So you are interested in a career in the technology field – that’s great! Since technology is a quickly changing area, it is important to not only be informed but to STAY informed in order to keep up with the latest developments.
Headed for a Career in the Technology Field? Read These Blogs!
Technology blogs are a great way to stay current and to
- keep up-to-date with the tech world and its latest developments in general
- enhance/acquire specialized knowledge in the niche/field of expertise
- engage with other technology-interested people
One of the criteria for the right tech blogs is of course also the question how advanced/specialized your knowledge already is, and what kind of profession/job you envision for yourself in the technology area.
- Maybe you want to simply make sure that you do not miss out on the latest developments?
- Do you already have the basic knowledge and are now looking for more in-depth information, or are you already out there with the experts and want to use the blogs not only for acquiring further expert knowledge but also for networking via discussions in the comments section?
- Are you more interested in the academic and educational aspects of the technology world, or is it the practical use and application?
- Or are you currently focused on the actual tech career aspects – finding the right college or employer, getting an idea about the current job market and evaluating your options?
To make things easier – and to get started, here is a selection of tech-related (and tech education-related) blogs. Consider it a menu, and take your pick among the different sections:
General Tech Blogs, News, Reviews, and Entertainment
General tech blogs are a good way to get a general overview with what is going on in the world of technology. They can also be great resources to get tips for further reading.
- TechCrunch – https://techcrunch.com/
- MIT Technology Review – https://www.technologyreview.com/
- Inside Tech – https://insidetech.monster.com/news
- Lifewire – Tech Untangled – https://www.lifewire.com/
- Reddit – Technology Section – https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/
- Mashable – https://mashable.com/
- Gizmodo – https://gizmodo.com/
Leading Tech Companies
When you are looking for a tech-related career, the idea of keeping an eye on what is going on at the major tech companies is not a great leap of thought: You get first-hand information on their products, and in case of a job interview with one of these companies you can show your in-depth knowledge and genuine interest.
- Apple – https://www.apple.com/newsroom/
- Microsoft – https://blogs.microsoft.com/
- Samsung – https://www.samsung.com/global/tv/blog/
- IBM – https://www.ibm.com/blogs/
- Amazon – https://aws.amazon.com/de/blogs/aws/
- Cisco – https://blogs.cisco.com/
- Intel – https://blogs.intel.com/
- Google – https://blog.google/
University Life and Education
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – https://mitadmissions.org/blogs
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech) – https://caltech.typepad.com/caltech_as_it_happens/courses-and-research/
- Stanford University – https://stvp.stanford.edu/blog
- Cambridge University – https://www.cambridgeblog.org/about/ and https://www.cambridgeblog.org/category/sci-tech/
Careers and Job Market
- Tech Careers – https://www.techcareers.com/ and blog The Confident Career https://www.theconfidentcareer.com/
- Dice – https://www.dice.com/
- The Balance – Technology Careers https://www.thebalance.com/tech-careers-4073969
- Business Insider – Tech – https://www.businessinsider.com/sai
- Forbes – Tech – https://www.forbes.com/technology/#5ab4aee44bad
- The Hard Refresh by Skillcrush – Tech 101 – https://skillcrush.com/category/tech-101/
- The Muse – https://www.themuse.com/
- GitHub Jobs – https://jobs.github.com/
Technology for Teachers/Educators
- EdTech – https://edtechmagazine.com/
- Class Tech Integrate – https://www.classtechintegrate.com/
- Ed Tech Teacher – https://edtechteacher.org/BLOG/
- Free Technology for Teachers – https://www.freetech4teachers.com/
Which blog will you check out? Let us know in the comments below!